Thursday, March 24, 2011

Covetous

Introduction to Poetry.
". . . all they want to do is tie the poem to a chair with rope and torture a confession out of it." -Billy Collins
    One of the many things I love about poetry is that I can make it my own. Every person is different, with different life experiences and completely different pasts. What's convenient about poetry is that I can make it my own and it affects other people in the way they see things. If I write a poem about how much I hate broccoli, for instance, there might be someone who absolutely is in love with it and would be lecturing me, telling me I'm wrong. When I'm really not. In my opinion.
From Collins' poem Intro to Poetry, I collected that the people who read poems want immediate answers. They don't want to take time to find out what the author is saying. They want to understand what they were trying to explain right then. Which I agree with. People don't take time to consider what the poet is trying to say about something. They're too impatient. We're all too impatient. We freaking have to watch food in the microwave, waiting for the food to cook milliseconds after we put it in. We sit at the computer, expecting it to work every single time. Expecting it to be lightning speed each time.
Every. Single. Time. Which isn't possible.
Random tangent. Stream of consciousness getting away with me again. Sorry. Collins always expresses what he is trying to say in the most simple phrases, but they seem to have the greatest effect on people. On me, anyway. I wish I could have that effect without having to go into gory detail about everything, but some people have that talent. Able to convey their feelings through a few words. Not moi. I get too into what I'm trying to say. He's very blunt, which I enjoy about him.

1 comment:

  1. You're long-winded, I'll give you that. But that's not always a bad thing.

    I agree with you, though. This might be one of my favorite things about Collins's poetry. Brevity. I too wish I could have that effect without having to beat the reader to death.

    ReplyDelete